Thursday, February 10, 2011

PDF Portfolio

I am no stranger to putting together a portfolio, but for some reason the PDF baffles me. How much do you put in, and how much work do you show? I just posted a first draft PDF portfolio on Core 77, and the input was phenomenal. 

First off, I made the mistake of trying to anticipate printing ease and went for a portrait style. It was quoted as reading like a magazine ad and making it look cheap and distracting. Start with 11x17 landscape and bring it down to size from there.
Second, I have done quite a bit of graphic work in the past and as a consequence, I branded myself like a graphic designer does. Don't do this. It is distracting and mine was quoted as the look of "an auto detailing company", plus you feel silly when someone calls you on it. KISS, and only put your name and contact info.
Third: Font choice is a big one. What fonts you use depend on your available space, and style you wish to show for yourself. I used Century Gothic, and was told it looked like a "90's power-point presentation", and was distracting and cheap.

As you know, process is key. Telling a story that is clean, clear, interesting, and should involve all elements of your design without becoming cluttered, isn't easy. So do your best and post it on Core77 for further refinement.

No comments:

Post a Comment