Sunday, February 13, 2011

Making Contacts


This is mostly for students. You have undoubtedly heard over and over how important contacts are. This has a tendency to shoot right over many peoples heads until it finally sinks in, and you need some help. Sure, it’s a weird thing to call on someone for help, but that’s just the way things are. I have compiled a few examples of how I got over this problem.

One approach I took after I graduated was to make a conscious effort to consider new people I met, as future contacts. What I would do to solidify this was to let them know right away, “hey your pretty cool, I might call on you someday for help”. This is an easy way to break the ice with new friends, as well as setting the tone for making that call in the future.

Next technique I tried was to create contacts. I would introduce myself to a local prototyper or manufacturer and talk shop with them. Let them know I work in the industry and would love throw business their way, however you should have a project in mind or it might have the opposite effect. This way you are going the round about way to get into your industry. And, who knows you might get a project thrown your way.

Lastly, I went for the next field over. I was taking a business class and was told that as a student, it is perfectly acceptable to approach someone in a marketing department for advice. So I went to a company whose products I loved and approached the director of marketing and asked some questions. I was very gracious for the gentleman’s time so I rewarded him with a box of candy. The box was a hand made promotional piece that had my designs and contact information on it. Next day, I got a call, a meeting with the president, and a freelance job. This approach is a little ballsy and nerve racking, but it paid off very well. A bit tough to do sometimes, but by contacting someone outside of the department I was able to draw their attention (and mine) away from my true intentions. This made things more comfortable and fun. So, keep up, keep at it, and it’s always better to get contacts before you need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment